Monday, January 15, 2007

19 October 2006

Dear Aymory

Well ..... it didn't rain - it simply teemed rain. Not windy, not cold, simply tons of rain falling straight down. Quietly left the pension and walked out of Samos in the gloom and driving rain, heading to Sarria.

Walked country lanes, small roads and footpaths. It was haunting - and beautiful. Passed through a woods and stopped under an chestnet tree for a drink of water. To my amazement, there, on a branch quite close by, was a bird just singing its heart out - in the middle of the most intense rain I have ever experienced. I wish I could have taken pictures today but was just raining far too hard to risk my camera.

Finally walked into Sarria - soaked and tired. I found a small albergue and got settled. Changed into dry clothes and went down to the small bar. Walking in, I was greeted by a crackling fire. The owner invited me to sit by the fire at a table that has been in his family for 3 generations. This gorgeous table which could seat 8 around it is made from an enormous slice of the trunk of an oak tree. Thought to myself 'this works'. We chatted, drank local wine and feasted on roasted chestnuts. I met a French couple and we had a terrific dinner. This was a very good day all around - physically, travel-wise, etc. Probably one of my best days, in spite of the weather. Maybe the weather even helped, who knows.

Went to be bed and slept very well.

Ultreya