Monday, January 15, 2007

20 October 2006

Dear Aymory

Another terrific day. It was a beautiful walk through rolling countryside. I left Sarria in the pouring rain (It just never seems to stop). After some 3 hours, it let up and eventually stopped. The day got brighter and eventually I even saw my shadow! I had thought I might get breakfast along the way, but there was nothing at all. In Morgagde, I finally found a small bar and had a very good lunch. My finish point for the day is Fereiros, about another 1 or 2 km further. The question was, should I push on to Portomarin? Decided not to. My goal is not to cover kilometers but to enjoy the experience. I feel good although a little tired. Got a bed in the albergue and had a nap. I was the only one there.

Later, I went to the only bar in town to update my journal and have dinner. Met an Australian woman (Bev) and her daughter (Madeleine). Bev is a clinical psychologist and has an abosolutely hilarious sense of humour. We laughed and drank and ate. It was a terrific meal. The evening was sunny and balmy. My sister Mary called which was very very nice.

Earlier today, I passed a stone marker which indicated 100 km from Santiago de Compostela. The reality of finishing this is beginning to settle in.

Returned to the Albergue and found it was totally full. Crawled into my bunk and tried to get to sleep. The woman in the bunk above me made every sound that a human body could possibly produce - including the most awesome, thunderous fart I have ever heard in my life (and believe me, there are some people [who shall remain nameless] in the Signals Corps who might have been able to rival her - you know who you are!!!!!!). I just covered my head and wondered if I'd hear body parts falling around me.

All-in-all, it wasn't a great night's sleep. There was a rather creepy looking guy who was wandering aound during the night - he was finally caught in the women's washroom - lol - and chased out. Got up around 6:00 AM, packed my ruck in the lounge and waited til first light.

A quick coffee and out the door.

Ultryea