Sunday, December 31, 2006

10 October 2006

Dear Aymery

A beautiful morning. Had breakfast with Joe, Jacques and Fr. Winfrid. It was very simple but hit the spot. Red sky which likely means rain but its still lovely for the moment. The Camino follows the highway to Astorga - and when I say follows, I mean it - at times right beside it! The day turned cool and cloudy with skiffs of rain but generally was ok. My feet are much better and my knee is better too.

Met two Canadian women in Astorga. Their husbands are in the Canadian Forces and they are traveling on their own - not doing the Camino but simply as tourists. We had a nice chat. Visited the cathedral. The retablo was done by a student of Michaelangelo and Raphael. I love the comment I read somewhere that Becerra, the artist, must have sat in the front row of his art class as it is so gorgeous. The bishop's palace is well-know for its design as the architect was Gaudi, one of Spain's and the world's great architects.

Astorga is the centre of the chocolate industry in Spain and when I have been here in the summer, you can catch the scent of it in the air. I bought chocolate in the same store I have in previous times ..... and it is still to die for! There used to be a statue of a pilgrim, similar to the ones on top of Alto de Perdon. However, it is gone now, having been badly damaged by vandals. What a shame.

I finally managed to connect with my friend Alberto Gonzales! He wants to get together when I arrive in Ponferrada. I will call him 1-2 days out and we will make more detailed plans then. I think I will stay in a hotel tonight. The bunks last night were fine and the room was clean. But, the room was tiny and we were packed in like sardines and the bunks were LOW. Banged my head and elbow everytime I moved in it. So did just about everyone else. Oh, and the shower was ice cold and therefore, very short. Tonight, a long hot shower and a clothes wash.

Ultreya