Wednesday, September 27, 2006

27 Sept. 2006 Viana to Logroño

Dear Aymery

Only 10 km but boy did it hurt. Had cleared the town when I realized I didn´t have my journal. Ran back a km. Not as easy as you may think considering the ruck on my back and that it was all uphill :( but they lock these places between 8:00 am and about 3:30 pm. Door was still open and I found it. On my way out, a man and a woman said ´Hi´. Nice to hear English so I stopped to say ´hello´. He commented on my limp and offered to help. So .... Dr. Levesque, a chiropractor from Saskatoon worked on my knee for about half an hour. What a gift! What a credit to his profession.

The morning was a generally easy walk to Logroño where I found the albergue easily. Spent the late afternoon in the plaza enjoying a cold beer and catching up on my journal. When the farmacia opened, I got some foot care supplies. This afternoon is my gift to myself and I am enjoying it. I was much needed and welcome. I think we need to be nicer to ourselves more often.

Met a retired Swedish army officer. We talked about how our cadet corps works - both in Canada and ours specifically (2605 Royal Canadian Signals Corp). Later, I thought about the Corps and the many individual cadets. He was lavish in his praise for the program and it made me think about what it really takes to make it work. Rick, you definitely do a terrific job. You are a credit to the CF, as are the Brickendens, Court and Jim. It doesn´t matter if any cadets realize what you do (and I believe a lot do) - the Corps, the Regiment and our country are better for your efforts. I am proud to be a small part of what you do.

Well, bells are ringing which means I must look for dinner.

See you later, Aymory

Ultreya