Wednesday, September 27, 2006

25 Sept. 2006 Estella to Los Arcos

Dear Aymery

Left this morning a little lighter - while I was in the shower, I was robbed. My ruck was thoroughly searched and a lot taken. my first aid kit (thankfully, I kept my meds separate), my green CF fleecy which not only I liked a lot but which kept me warm on cool mornings and evenings, flashlight, compass, jacket, socks, some papers and my compass. It left a really sour taste in my mouth. When you don´t have much with you to start with, it rather hurts. I´m mostly worried about the lack of sweater and jacket as the weather is variable. I walked along in a relatively pissed off mood. This plus my aching knee and cool, windy and cloudy weather were a poor mix.

Reached Fuente del Vino in about 35 minutes and enjoyed some wine from the fountain. Toasted Canada and all my family and friends to the camera but didn´t call anyone as its about 2:45 am in Canada.

Walked on through farm fields and vinyards. Kind of grazed on walnuts, almonds, olives and grapes (lots of grapes) along the way. About 2 km from Los Arcos, I met my Irish and Swedish friends. However, my knee really began to hurt so I paused while they went on their way.

Finally made it into Los Arcos. where I found the albergue, the farmacia and the church. The church is stunningly beautiful. The ´retablo´or screen behind the altar is breathtaking. and on all sides you see magnificant paintings and sculptures. I called Michael to wish him a ´happy birthday´- not sure if I will have a connection tommorrow. Got to speak with Michael, Danielle, Ally and John. They are all in Amsterdam to celebrate his birthday and just hang out. They seem to be having a great time! I am a lucky man.

Had a nice dinner and went to bed.

Ultreya