Thursday, October 05, 2006

2 October 2006

Dear Aymery

Walked to Santo Domingo de la Calzada today. A good walk for the first 16 km. Knee started to give out about 15 k and the last kilometer into CiriƱuela was tough. Found a bar and just dropped into a chair. Watched other pilgrims come and go. Met a Norwegian - Kjell Woll. We had a nice talk. Agreed to meet in Sto Domingo later for dinner that night. After an hour rest, I left. Tried to get a phone signal to reservate a room in a hostal instead of an albergue. but no such luck. Lots of people on the Camino and it would be my luck not to get a bed!

A young Spaniard jogged (!!!) by me with his kit on his back. He´ll probably get the last bed!

Finally got into town. Walked to the square. Lots of memories as I was here with my mother and daughter 2 years ago. Met the young 'Spaniard' who turned out to be Mexican named Carlos, trying to find his father. He guided me to a hostal run by the Cistercian order of sisters. Got a room and, after a clean-up and rest, went downstairs where I met Carlos and his father, Francisco. We went out to get a well-earned beer. Our table in the square turned out be a great one. First, Kjell came walking by. Then 2 Slovenian girls I had met in Najera come along. It was so much fun, I forgot to take a picture! Later, Kjell, Francisco, Carlos and I went out for an excellent dinner. Felt an a great deal more human by the end of the evening. Knee has settled down but I have decided to stay an extra day - both to rest and to see the Cathedral

Slept well

Ultreya